Wednesday, February 01, 2006

How-to: Make Firefox show the "live bookmark" button in the address bar when viewing your website

This had been puzzling me for a week or so. But after a little source-viewing I found the trick to getting the live bookmark button to display in Firefox's address bar when viewing the LCLS website.

The secret:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS feed LCLS" href="http://www.lcls.org/rss.aspx"/>


That's it! Just replace the title & href= portion of this with your RSS feed info. Put it in the <head> element of your page. The same place where you link to your style sheets.

Next time you refresh, Firefox should display the little live bookmark button in the address bar (looks like this: )

Yes. I'm sure that is documented somewhere. But I didn't feel like searching for it. And now its documented here too. For the whole 20 people that read this ;)

5 Comments:

At 2/02/2006 2:10 PM, Anonymous Eby said...

That's not just important for Firefox, that is what is used for autodiscovery. If you have more than one feed you can also list them like that. It's helpful to many browsers and aggregators. Here's one of the original posts about it: http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/06/02/important_change_to_the_link_tag

 
At 2/06/2006 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dammit. I was doing a google search for chowder-related websites for my report on chowder, and i stumbled upon your erroneously-named blog. Imagine my disappointment :(

-Maria

 
At 2/09/2006 9:07 AM, Anonymous Nicole said...

You must have missed it when I asked that very question :) I've been having fun with RSS on our site lately.

 
At 12/06/2006 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. Couldn't get firefox to recogize some microsoft rss feeds so I used your info to imbed the links in my own webpage so I could load them into firefox and a live bookmark.

regards b1m1

 
At 10/18/2011 10:49 AM, OpenID jsatsr said...

right click on the icon of the site in the address bar. click customize toolbar. there will be the button what we all are looking for.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home