Wednesday, January 18, 2006

IM for tech support

The last two days I have been chatting with one of my library directors and one of her staff taking care of some Outlook issues.

When I started using IM at work (and encouraging others to, tho I have slacked in helping get it installed), I envisioned this as one use. So far I am happy with the way it's worked in tackling this problem (corrupted .PST file in Outlook).

During the conversation on IM I got another support call over the phone. That worked out pretty well because I was able to handle both at the same time.


Barb
actually brought up using IM for tech support at our GateNet meeting (I was not there, but Bill told me this after the meeting). I think it is a fine idea and am definately interested in testing it out.

Normally I used IM to stay in touch with my wife (most of our conversation is split about 50/50 between IM and voice conversations) and a few friends. The popularity IM is getting for what I'll call "legit" uses (aka useful work uses), has given me some leverage to encourage other staff here and at my members to try it out.

For those LCLS Members that are interested, there are many uses for IM besides contacting me for support.

Aaron Schmidt will be here for his IM Reference workshop and if you're interested, you should go! Aaron is a great guy and has a ton of experience using IM in his library.

In the meantime, here are all the ways to contact me on IM:
Yahoo! : ChrisDeweese25
AIM : ChrisDeweese25
MSN : chrisd_at_lcls.org (replace the at with @)

And no. I am not advertising free IM based tech support. So, I won't handling support calls for other libraries outside of LCLS, unless of course, you're using CLeO :)

1 Comments:

At 1/18/2006 9:15 PM, Blogger Paul Mills said...

Hey Chris, HAL in PALS has been using DBabble for IM for several years now. We have it installed on most PCs that are running our ILS client, which makes it easy to make sure that we can reach everyone we need to without worrying about whether people are reading their email, if the phone message gets passed around, the fax makes it to everybody, etc. We can also do targeted messages to groups we create, and, best of all, we control it. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home