Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Small victory...a personal note

Probably..this isn't the place to post this given the intent of this blog, however, it is my blog so I guess I can post whatever I feel like.

Some of you may know this, many don't but, five years ago I was the recipient of stem cell transplant, during my second round with hodgkins disease. Fortunately, I was able to donate the stem cells to myself, not requiring another donor. I was told a lot of things, 50-70% cure rate, no chance of having children naturally, blah blah blah. Most of it went in one ear and out the other.

Six months ago I saw my doctor, the usual, doing fine, blood's fine, nothing weird going on. That was just days before we found out my wife was pregnant. We knew a few months earlier that having children was no longer going to require us looking into adoption or other means, but we didn't say anything to my doctor.

Until today. When my oncologist walked through the door, we must have looked like two kids with our hands in the cookie jar, she stopped, looked at both of us and said: "What? What's wrong?" I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear and then I asked Rachel to stand up, and the words I heard next won't leave me anytime soon.

"Is she, wait, she's...no, HOW DID YOU DO THAT??"

That's right. My oncologist asked how we managed to get my wife pregnant. Sparing her the birds and bees story I reassured her, to her disbelief, that it is in fact our baby and things happened natuarlly. She was floored.

In her ten or more years in oncology, I am her first male patient to have fully recovered in every way from a stem-cell transplant. She has one female patient that, under similar circumstances, recovered fully as well.

So, how good do I feel today (did I mention I'm off all day too)? And in another 30 minutes, I get to see our darling daughter again!

For some of the folks at LCLS this story will hit kinda close to home, because it was our former director Susan Lucco who told me to take as much time as I needed and kept a job waiting for me when I was ready to come back to work.

Things do work out, sometimes in ways we'd never expect.

4 Comments:

At 12/14/2005 2:53 PM, Blogger Joy said...

I love this story!

 
At 12/14/2005 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christopher, you make me cry again and I'll trash your laptop! Here at LCLS we always knew you wwere one of a kind. Now your doctor knows too.

Charm

 
At 12/15/2005 2:19 PM, Blogger David said...

That's a nice story. Very happy for you!

 
At 12/20/2005 4:14 AM, Blogger CW said...

Congratulations! :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home