Thursday, December 22, 2005

Michael Says: Take a break!

Michael made a post in January 2005, that he resurrected in TTW favorites, that really hits home with me.

"The Balanced Librarian" touches on something I've been struggling with lately. Since Internet Librarian I have been pushing myself at a frantic pace to come up with ideas, programs, projects, and anything I think that could turn into something for our members.

Since then I've started two blogs, a gaming project, enhanced our web services internally, and am getting ready to launch a new web service early in the new year. Not to mention all the new contacts and friends I've made. Of course, my wife and I are expecting our first child in March.

In a given day I have more thoughts that I forget than ones I remember to write down, let alone ones that become a tangible idea or prototype. That has been driving me crazy. At least 3 times now in the past 2 months I have stayed up until 3 or 4 in the morning working on something.

Just the other night it happened again, I was up until 230AM, for no reason other than I couldn't stop working on the program I was working on.

Normally when this used to happen to me, it was a hobby related thing and it would pass. But this is my job. For me, the lines between work and fun have been blurred. The work I do is fun to me, it's challenging, and I can't just stop.

Starting tomorrow (friday dec 22nd) at 5PM, when I leave work, I will not be on the Internet. I am not going to write any more code, I'm not going to make little changes to any projects I am working on. I'm going to see my family, spend time with my wife, and play Nintendo.

I will be back online Tuesday at 8AM when I come back to work. And you can expect nothing but the frantic development pace I've been on since late October.

2 Comments:

At 12/22/2005 2:23 PM, Blogger Nicole Engard said...

You know - I think my craziness started around the same exact time - Internet Librarian. And I totally agree with the "my work is fun" sentiment, which is why I'll be working on upgrading my personal sites this week I have off - oh well - no break for me :) Have a great holiday!

 
At 12/22/2005 3:17 PM, Blogger Chris Deweese said...

That conference was the best thing, but man it's put me into overdrive.

Hope you enjoy your time off as well!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home